Benefits of Stainless Steel in Street Furniture
Stainless steel is an alloy of Iron with a minimum of 10.5% Chromium. Chromium produces a thin layer of oxide on the surface of the steel known as the ‘passive layer’. This prevents any further corrosion of the surface. Stainless steel also contains varying amounts of Carbon, Silicon and Manganese. Stainless steel offers a long service life to the architectural/ornamental user, due to its long list of benefits.
Benefits of Stainless Steel:
- Corrosion resistance: All stainless steels have a high resistance to corrosion. The high level of chromium oxide in stainless steel increases its structural integrity and resistance to corrosion. Depending on the grade of alloy; the metal can resist most acids, alkaline solutions, and chloride bearing environments even at elevated temperatures and pressures.
- High and low temperature resistance: Stainless steel can resist scaling and maintain high strength at very high temperatures; considering the amounts of Chromium and Silicon which impart greater oxidation resistance. Whilst also showing exceptional toughness at cryogenic temperatures. This is largely due to gradual fall from ductile to brittle fracture, demonstrating its high on impact toughness value.
- Ease of fabrication: The majority of stainless steels can be cut, welded, formed, machined and fabricated readily.
- Strength: The cold work hardening properties of many stainless steels can be used in design to reduce material thickness, weight and costs. Other stainless steels may be heat treated to make very high strength components.
- Aesthetic appeal: Stainless steel is available with many surface finishes this makes stainless steel ideal for a variety of products that require both attractiveness and strength. Stainless steel gives you peace of mind as you don’t have to worry about the material rusting, fading or staining over time; avoiding many types of blemishes, including fingerprints, scuff marks and smudges.
- Hygienic properties: The cleanability of stainless steel makes the first choice in hospitals, kitchens, food and pharmaceutical processing facilities. Stainless steel doesn’t absorb germs, making it ideal for a sanitary environment.
- Eco-Friendly: Stainless steel is completely recyclable; reducing landfill, saving energy and reducing CO2 emissions. Making your purchase a sustainable one; promoting a clean eco-friendly planet.
The benefits listed above make stainless steel one of the preferred materials in the Street Furniture industry. Consider stainless steel for its strong, versatile profile for your next street furniture project.
StraBe’s Stainless Steel Rondo Seats installed in North Sydney
Contact us today on 1300 979 343 or [email protected] to discuss your street furniture projects!